Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slight bulge in new tire

2 posters

Go down

Slight bulge in new tire Empty Slight bulge in new tire

Post  toolsbody Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 am

Seems like there's always 'somethin'!Sad   The new Nexen tire that I was so pleased with has a problem. One day last week I noticed a slight bulge in the side wall and looking further on the other side even with it I saw a bulge even with it, but not as bad. It's very small and probably was there all along, but I don't like it. I've seen this kind of thing before on a car, when it never amounted to anything. They probably would make it up, but I'm not sure they would because I'd have to either ride the bike to the dealer or take the tire off, in which case, the bulge probably wouldn't even show. They might conclude that I damaged it if they see I mounted it on a motorcycle. I'm sure they would like to have an excuse 'not' to make it up. Then there's the fact that I'd have to take a replacement tire even if they did make it up and I'm not sure I want to go through with that all over again with the same kind of tire. I know of others using this same tire and I haven't heard of a problem like this. As a matter of fact, there is a you tube video of a guy wearing one of these out and then putting another one on. I guess I just happened to be the one in a million that got a slightly defective tire. I can't believe that I caused any damage mounting it 'cause it wasn't much trouble at all. Both sides poped in place with little more than 60PSI. The tire runs fine and I really hate to take it off and put another one on. I thought I'd just watch it for now and see if it looked like it got any worse and if not just run it on. I was wondering if anybody else had this kind of experience. Any info or opinion would be appreciated.Smile
toolsbody
toolsbody

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Slight bulge in new tire Empty Re: Slight bulge in new tire

Post  motopsycho Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:11 am

Does it bulge outward or inward? An outward bulge is a bad thing. I don't think I'd run a tire like that. It means that there's a weak spot in the sidewall.

If it's an inward bulge, relax and ride. There are reinforcing fibers that go around the sidewall that run concentric with the axle. Those fibers overlap a 1/2 inch or so when they are molded into the rubber. That overlap area is actually stronger than the rest of the side wall, so when you put air in the tire, that area doesn't bulge out as much as the rest of the tire.

My Douglas Performance tire has an indent on both sides of the sidewall, so I've done some extensive research to find out what was going on.

motopsycho

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  toolsbody Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:44 am

motopsycho wrote:Does it bulge outward or inward? An outward bulge is a bad thing. I don't think I'd run a tire like that. It means that there's a weak spot in the sidewall.

If it's an inward bulge, relax and ride. There are reinforcing fibers that go around the sidewall that run concentric with the axle. Those fibers overlap a 1/2 inch or so when they are molded into the rubber. That overlap area is actually stronger than the rest of the side wall, so when you put air in the tire, that area doesn't bulge out as much as the rest of the tire.

My Douglas Performance tire has an indent on both sides of the sidewall, so I've done some extensive research to find out what was going on.
There's a couple of 'inward indentions' but also slight outward bulges in   the same place on each side about 10 inches or from the 'inward ' places. These places are even with each other and one side is a little worse than the other.  I checked about getting credit and the form that has to be filled out asked for the vehicle application so I'm pretty sure unless I want to lie, which I don't, I won't be able to get my money back. It doesn't look so bad now, so I'm gonna watch it close and if it starts to get worse, I'll have to replace it and I dread that about as much as having to 'pay' for another one.
Thanks for the reply!
toolsbody
toolsbody

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down