Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire

+11
Dudester60
yabiah
vtxreaper
mikeyrx
ToMang07
johnc486
Larry Simpson
Oldsmobility
jedishon
quadancer
Strato Troop
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Empty Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire

Post  Strato Troop Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:10 pm

What is the recommended front tire to run with a rear car tire on a 2006 Stratoliner? I am looking at putting on approximately 5000 miles in 3 weeks and want to have a good match for the trip.

Strato Troop

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-08-08

Back to top Go down

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Empty Re: Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire

Post  quadancer Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:27 pm

I wonder myself, especially after Smokey's incident. My surmization is to use as wide as possible of a tire to lower the center offsets, but that's just theory. The biggest thing I think I want is grip, since we're pushing the bikes harder using a CT with all it's traction back there.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Empty Re: Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 am

My recomendation would be what ever tread pattern fits your riding, except dunflop. Metz, Avon, Bridgestone, whaterver. It's just a personal prefferance kind of thing.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 am

Appreciate it Jerry, but that's like the guys on oil threads saying "whatever you wanna run" without reading the oil specs. I mean, what tire have you guys found to be the GRIPPIEST in the front? All I know at this point is the Dunflops suk and hate tar snakes. And bounce a lot. That's not a conducive combination for screaming thru the twisties.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am

I've been wanting to go to a Metzeler in the front, but some guy just last week tells me that they're no good in the rain. This was the first time I'd heard anything negative on the Metzelers. Is there any merit to what he was saying?

I've only had experience with Bridgestone and the Maxxis tires that came on my bike, and both got the job done fine for me. The only complaint I have is the Bridgestone's tend to scallop a lot.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 am

Could that be because of those two parachutes you have on the bike? 🐰
Hey, I was going with the Metz's too. Avons are too expensive, now I wonder. I won't use another Pirelli after the Night Dragon slides.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Empty re recomended front tire to run with rear car tire

Post  Larry Simpson Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

Metzeler 880 held fine for me in the hardest rain I have ever been in (little comon sense needs to accompany any tire in the rain) Just my opinion. lol! lol!
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 am

I have (untill the last tire) always had Metz 880's on all my bikes. They always worked well for me. I recently put an Avon Roadrider rear tire on the front. It is doing a very good job. And at $93 delivered from Colorado. It doesn't look like I will go back to a Metz. Its a little harder tire then the Metz (IMHO) so the ride is a little harsher, but the extra milage will make up for that.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  johnc486 Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:51 am

Jerry
Please tell me where you got the Avon from because I am in need of a front tire now, did you have to reverse direction?
Thanks for your help

johnc486

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 am

I'd like to see people post wether or not they throw sparks or not when addressing the proficiency of a front tire.
It doesn't mean diddly squat to me if you ride around like my grandma in a wheelchair. Her tires are just fine for that.
Braking, holding over tar snakes, holding corners and mileage - that's what we really need to know.

IMO, scalloping, cupping and the like can be done to a good tire by way of harmonics. Fork flex, tire pressure, shock rebound,
pavement types and speed can all create an enviornment conducive to tire wear, as all independent truckers know too well.
If many people experience them with a certain tire, it's the tire.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  ToMang07 Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:55 am

quadancer wrote:I'd like to see people post wether or not they throw sparks or not when addressing the proficiency of a front tire.
It doesn't mean diddly squat to me if you ride around like my grandma in a wheelchair. Her tires are just fine for that.
Braking, holding over tar snakes, holding corners and mileage - that's what we really need to know.

IMO, scalloping, cupping and the like can be done to a good tire by way of harmonics. Fork flex, tire pressure, shock rebound,
pavement types and speed can all create an enviornment conducive to tire wear, as all independent truckers know too well.
If many people experience them with a certain tire, it's the tire.

OK... I'll clarrify for you... scratch

You DO ride a HD, right? lol!

Well, as far as my VTX 1800, I am an agressive rider, and I drag the boards ALL THE TIME. I can prommise the Metz holds like glue, and with over 5k on it...And a few unexpected DOWNPOURS, PLEANTY of twisties/mountains, ans crappy, crappy roads, Metz is great. I still have AT LEAST 1/2 tread, If I get 10-12k, I will be happy with the tire. Twisted Evil I would like to point out that it is the STOCK (size) FRONT I am refering to..... NOT a Metz rear tire. The 200mm rear tire gripped and felt great....but wore horibly. Evil or Very Mad

Good enough for ya? I can send you pics of my floorboards.... I'm thinking of putting rails on them already so I get more than 2 years use out or them. Shocked
ToMang07
ToMang07

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2010-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:54 pm

I got the tire here... http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webTypeId=229&webCatId=8
The Avon Roadrider reat tire is listed as front or rear fitment, so you can mount it in the front with the rotation arrows.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanx ToMang; that's tha stuff! It should do as well on the Harley then, but I was thinking of a rear up front. The avon idea is okay, but
I'd wonder if that thing is as thick in the tread as most rears, which is why we go there.
Regardless, IMO, it's more important to stick the front than to get the mileage, since they do pretty well to begin with. But if we can DD
the bike, so much the better.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Empty Metzlers

Post  mikeyrx Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:52 pm

My last 3 (maybe 4, I dont remember) sets of tires have been Metzlers. I like them. I'm not a super agressive rider, but I do like to ride, and I dont let the rain bother me. I have been very pleased with the Metzlers in the rain. You wont be disappointed.
Mikeyrx

mikeyrx

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 pm

On the topic of throwing sparks, don't Honda floorboards and pegs sit really low to begin with? I drag my pegs plenty, but I just assumed it was because of the low positioning rather than me pushing the envelope.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:51 am

Hey Jedishon, What size tire did you use for the front. That Avon Roadtec rear will be my next tire. I just put on a Shinko front for the low price. The tire rides fine, but I have that left side wear issue with my fronts. I will be lucky if I get 5000 miles out of the Shinko front I have on now.
I am hoping the harder rear compound will make a difference..
And the size is????????????

REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:05 am

My 1300 takes a 140/70/17 front tire, but I put a 150/70/17 on and just moved the forks thru the top of the triple tree by 1/4" to make up for the added height. I still drag the boards.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 am

Got it jedishon, mine is an 1800, I think stock is 150/80/17, got check and see if they have that size..
Just checked the closest they have is the same size you bought. 150/70/17, do you think that would work for me????

Thanks,

REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:18 am

I would think it would work ok. It will change your riding angle a little but you wont notice it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:01 pm

I went with the economical Bridgestone S-11 Spitfire rear, same size as my old front (130/90h/16) and not only is my headshake gone, it handles great, is smoother than a baby butt, after the Dunflop I had on there. (was getting old, not worn out)
Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Tubeless004
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Oldsmobility wrote:I've been wanting to go to a Metzeler in the front, but some guy just last week tells me that they're no good in the rain. This was the first time I'd heard anything negative on the Metzelers. Is there any merit to what he was saying?

I've only had experience with Bridgestone and the Maxxis tires that came on my bike, and both got the job done fine for me. The only complaint I have is the Bridgestone's tend to scallop a lot.
I have metzlers on my bike and they are shit I have maybe 4000 miles on them and they are wearing out already MAYBE just MAYBE there is something wrong with the bike I just bought the bike and have put approx. 4000 miles on it mostly freeway miles maybe 1/4 twisties I am looking to find something to replace them with anyone have any ideas???

Back to top Go down

Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Empty rear tire on front

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 9:51 am

[i]I would like to know about using rear tires on the front I am running metz 880 now and I am not getting any mileage out of them as far as that guy saying they are,nt good in rain I have to say he is wrong mine does great in the rain they are just wearing out way to fast. As soon as this 200 metz I have on the back is worn out I am going with a car tire of some kind but I really need to know if you can run rear tires on the front. it sounds like it is reasonable that the rear tire would wear longer.I read on the vtxoa forum that avon makes their front tires thicker on the left side to compinsate for the excessive wear does anyone know of that or if it is true thanks for any input it is driving me crazy to see these tires wearing out so fast. I admit I do run it a little hard and love to hit the twisties hard but that is what makes a guy feel alive also i am wondering if it is the 1800 S I am driving that is wearing out the tires so fast I never had a bike this big or heavy before

Back to top Go down

Post  yabiah Sat May 21, 2011 11:15 am

quadancer wrote:I went with the economical Bridgestone S-11 Spitfire rear, same size as my old front (130/90h/16) and not only is my headshake gone, it handles great, is smoother than a baby butt, after the Dunflop I had on there. (was getting old, not worn out)
Recommended Front Tire to run with Rear Car Tire Tubeless004
I've had the S-11's on a few bikes. 2002 Low Rider, Honda 650 Nighthawk, Kawasaki GPZ 550.
Excellent tire! grip=excellent. wear=excellent. price=excellent.
And the best handling wet weather tire I've ridden.
Quad, why the rear used as a front?
yabiah
yabiah

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 3:17 pm

jedishon wrote:My recomendation would be what ever tread pattern fits your riding, except dunflop. Metz, Avon, Bridgestone, whaterver. It's just a personal prefferance kind of thing.

Jerry
[i] avon has a deeper tred design on the left side of the tire where it wears more maybe it is the best hmmm Shrug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dudester60 Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 pm

This is probably what I would choose for the front if I were thinking of going DD (Hmmmm, just had a brain fart) hmmm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043YB56C/?tag=motorcycletiresbestcheap-20
Dudester60
Dudester60

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next