Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Valkyrie Darksider

+2
Badmoon
X Ring
6 posters

Go down

New Valkyrie Darksider Empty New Valkyrie Darksider

Post  X Ring Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Well I did it. After months of asking questions, getting soaked by another Darksider in the rain and seeing Dag's videos on youtube, I succumbed to the Darkside this weekend. Installed a Toyo Proxes TPT in 205/65HR16 on Sandman, my 97 Red & White Tourer. Took it for a 30 mile ride this evening and it feels like I'm learning to ride all over again, only faster. Curves I took at 20-25 on the way out, I took at twice that speed coming home. I'm going to put about 200 miles on tomorrow and should have over 500 by the weekend. I'll give you another update them.

Marty
X Ring
X Ring

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-10-24

Back to top Go down

New Valkyrie Darksider Empty Re: New Valkyrie Darksider

Post  Badmoon Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:17 am

Well its on now. Welcome and ride safe. Looking forward to the review. Post a pic for Unk Jer and Horse. They like pictures. I guess they cant read. Just playin yall. Another beautiful day down south and I am stuck on the big pond. Rats.....

Peace yall
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:59 am

Welcome to the daarkside. Amazing isn't it.
Pictures are good for us guys that are getting old and having trouble seeing.
Either that or text like this.
Thanks for tipping every one off Moon.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  X Ring Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:40 am

OK guys. Here's a pic of me and Sandman on the Valhalla Voyage before I saw the light (dark? scratch ). New Valkyrie Darksider Me%20On%20Sandman
X Ring
X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post  X Ring Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:41 am

Here's a pic of my Darkside. New Valkyrie Darksider 046%20(2)
X Ring
X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post  X Ring Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am

Here's the entry I put on the VRCC Board last night, minutes after I got home.:

I LOVE the Darkside. Leaving the house today, I hit those curves I talked about in my original post and thought I was going faster than normal. Glanced at the speedo and I was doing 65, 15 faster than usual. So I took the curvy way to the coast. Nothing I did could upset the DS. My speeds down those roads were 10-15 faster than normal and my confidence in Sandman's abilities grew. I was leaned over way more. Had to do an emergency stop, Man!! What a rush. The Valks have excellent brakes but the added traction on the rear was incredible. Felt myself launching harder. Lines through curves where I would have to re-adjust with the MT, I didn't have to with the DS. She held the roads like she was glued there. I'm still jazzed. To quote Moonshine, WOOOHOOO!!!!

Marty
X Ring
X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 am

Glad you are enjoying, welcome to the site and the light scratch lol.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  X Ring Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:51 am

I promised you guys a report and here it is. Yesterday, I left the house at 5 a.m. and rode to the New Orleans suburub of Harvey for the funeral of a 20 year old Soldier, who made the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan on October 27. If I was going to have any problems, this was it. New Orleans is not known for having the best streets. I was taking the offramp from I 10 onto the US 90 bridge across the Mississippi River to the West Bank. 80 mph, bumper to bumper traffic and I was still getting passed. I was leaned over dealing with abrupt surface elevation changes and the DS didn't fail. It held its grip through all the bumps and dips. I couldn't have been happier considering the reason I went there. Had a couple of issues but nothing I couldn't handle thanks to reading the threads on this forum and the others. One of the issues was ruts. I was cruising down MS Hwy 63 when I felt the Valk get dragged to the left. Then I saw something I had never seen before, twin ruts on each side of the right lane. Thanks to the angle of the rising sun, it cast shadows in the ruts. Something I had never seen later in the day. Also, in Harvey I was in the left line of the MS Patriot Guard Riders as we left the funeral. We were in the left lane on a divided four lane road. I saw depressions in the side of the road along the curb and as I passed one felt the DS slip into it. It was for road drainage. Again, I didn't panic but adjusted my line to be a little farther away so it wouldn't happen again. Thanks for letting me and all the other new guys of the tendency of DS tires to slide into and follow ruts. That knowledge kept me from panicing and losing control of the Valk.

When I left the house yesterday, I had 292 miles on the DS. When I returned as 11 p.m., the odometer showed 700 miles. The tire has been inflated to 40 psi since it was installed. Tomorrow I will drop the pressure to 36 and start trying to find the sweet spot.

Thanks again for all the advice in the threads.

Marty

Here's a pic of Sandman dressed to honor this fine young man and all our Military Members

New Valkyrie Darksider Sandman
X Ring
X Ring

Back to top Go down

New Valkyrie Darksider Empty another darksider

Post  Huntmaster Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 am

I too have went to the darkside,it was the best thing I ever did.
Huntmaster
Huntmaster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  X Ring Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:26 am

Congrats Huntsman. Start you're own thread so you're not lost in mine.

Marty
X Ring
X Ring

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Congrats on your darkside.....look me up some time! I live in Denham Springs!

Awesome review...very well written and subjective!

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down