Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounting a CT

3 posters

Go down

Mounting a CT  Empty Mounting a CT

Post  newwing85 Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:20 am

I am considering a ct on my 85 1200.  Does this have to be done with a machine or can it be done by hand?  My son works at a TA and has experience mounting tires on 18 Wheelers and cars.  What about turning the rim.  Are there some tires that don't need to have the rim turned?  I was thinking of a Nankang cx668.  On another post it was reported it worked well.  Definitely in my price range.

newwing85

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-01

Back to top Go down

Mounting a CT  Empty Re: Mounting a CT

Post  newwing85 Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:59 pm

So no thoughts.  I live near Asheville NC.  Any Darksiders of any type know where I can get a tire mounted.  I can purchase the Nankang locally.

newwing85

Registration date : 2014-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  robw Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:39 pm

the tire can be mounted by hand but it is tough. If you can have it mounted with a machine it would be a heck of a lot easier. I can't speak to the 1200 but the rim on my 1500 and 1800 didn't need any modifications.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  dwitgoldwing Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:43 pm

I mounted a Goodyear Assurance on the rear rim of my '93 GL1500 using my Harbor Freight manual tire changer.
Getting the tire off and on wasn't the problem...getting it to seat, was. I tried with all the pressure my 5 HP 60 gal. comp. could muster, but it didn't happen. Had to take it to a local used tire shop and THEY even had a hard time. They had to use the air line they use for truck tires instead of the one at their tire machine.
Next time I will wrap a strap or rope around the perimeter of the tire to help seat the bead. I used Ruglyde and all the tricks I knew, to no avail.
DW.
I do love my darkside.
Going doubledarkside this week with a BAttleAx

dwitgoldwing

Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down