Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Went dark on a Vision in So. California

4 posters

Go down

Went dark on a Vision in So. California Empty Went dark on a Vision in So. California

Post  drnoleak Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:45 am

Well, gulp. I went and did it. Put on a 195/55.16 Copper CS4. Air pressure of 32 PSI
First thoughts. Corners no different than a motorcycle tire. Does want to right itself a little quicker. Kind of like a fat tire bike. On the asphalt part of the freeway, OMG nice. Feels like you are floating on air. On the freeway concrete with lots of grooves, seem to want to move around and hunt to find where it wants to go. Not real thrilled with that at the moment. Not scary, just very different.

I have read that it takes about 500 miles for the tire to get "adjusted" LOL I think that means the rider.

drnoleak

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

Went dark on a Vision in So. California Empty Re: Went dark on a Vision in So. California

Post  Lou Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Could be talking about "form release" don't hit the corners to hard until you scrub that stuff off. About 100 miles.
Take care
Be safe

Lou

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Back to top Go down

Went dark on a Vision in So. California Empty Re: Went dark on a Vision in So. California

Post  drnoleak Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:39 pm

A fellow Vision rider said that while following, he could see the back end squirming. Going to try a little more air pressure. Any other ideas. Wold shock pressure do anything?

drnoleak

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

I believe in most non-runflat tires guys are running closer to 40psi on big touring bikes.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  drnoleak Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks, Should I try 38?

drnoleak

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am

You want LESS PRESSURE, not MORE when it tracks grooves and edges. Drop in 2 lb. increments, trying each one out thoroughly in both
high and low speed corners until you hit a pressure where it begins to wallow.
Your "sweet spot" is a pressure between where it began to wallow and where it quit tracking.

On grooved pavement, there will always be some tracking, same as your bike tire, possibly just a tad more, but not to worry:
It ain't goin' anywhere.

I stay out from behind trucks, as they exaggerate this with the buffeting, not to mention throw rocks at you.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  drnoleak Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:35 pm

I think I know, but please define wallow.

drnoleak

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:19 pm

I could say "You'll know it when it does it" but basically it's just a mushy feeling like a low tire, which is exactly what it is. You won't notice
it going straight; you'll hit a pressure where suddenly you feel uneasy and loose in the curves.
Taller sidewall tires like I run can have a narrower range (high/low) than low profiles. My Comtrac and the Dunlop on her now were
high at 38 and low at 30. Therefore, I run 34 and it's perfect.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  drnoleak Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply

drnoleak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down