Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing rims

+18
Beermand
W.Hack
quadancer
Spuddaddy
PapiRauk
Dfinitlydisturbd
willdc
flyingstick
papa
guitstik
horseman8m
sseibert3
smokey2255
daves1300s
twin1300
easygoer
motorcyclereb
wayne
22 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Sealing rims - Page 4 Empty Re: Sealing rims

Post  quadancer Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 pm

I got the 2 tubes from two completely different places and they were identical, so I was doubting it as a bad batch, but maybe they both came from the same run after all. Maybe they just make it a little more runny for the squeeze tubes?
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:34 pm

That could be, something to remember when some body asks about what to use.
They use stuff in the ship yards here on the Oregon coast, and they use it for underwater applications around bearings.
I have used it for other thing besides rims, and have used it off and on for about 20 years and have never had a runny tube, but I have never used the squeeze tubes.

I think we figured it out, or, you did.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 pm

DAMMMM...it's leaking down, even after riding a little. Gotta run in the morning so I have to go down and pull it off the bike and put the damn tube back in. I couldn't find a leak anywhere when I got home, I just don't understand!
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  W.Hack Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 pm

This is an interesting read. Haven't tried it yet though.

http://cyb.smugmug.com/gallery/7250813_ZxQA5#465979239_UFqYE
W.Hack
W.Hack

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 pm

GoodGawdaMighty...I even HAVE the gas sealant in my shop! I wish I'd seen that article before trying this.
In defense of the 5200 though, I did two things wrong and I knew it, because I have a run in the morning and it's my birthday.
1.) I didn't wait beyond even 24 hrs on a 7 day set.
2.) I didn't have time to second coat it.
So...8:30 tonight I pulled the dang thing and put the tube back in it, vacuuming out the dynabeads from the tire, repolishing everything and all. Thankfully, I still had a tube full of dynabeads ready to go. I finally found the leak...coming out around the threads on one spoke!
Windex wasn't foamy enough; I had to make up some soapy water to spray on it to detect the small leak. The trick of binding the tire...works, but still needed the tire irons to put it on; but it was easier. Depends on the wheel I guess.
Sealing rims - Page 4 Tubeless003 Sealing rims - Page 4 Tubeless002 Sealing rims - Page 4 Tubeless004
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:22 am

From the cafe, a post from Marty
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=50643
I had to warm up a tube on one of the rims I was doing. I just droped it in hot water and let it set for about 1/2 hour.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Bump

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Well, I went and did it, I had my first failure on a sealed rim. But in my defence, I used a valve stem that had the rubber washer on the out side and it leaked by the nut and under the 5200 and out the closest spoke, I for got to seal the nut. I just put a 205 70 15 Hydro Edge on it and had to break the bead and re seal around the nut.
Im glad it was my bike and not some elses. Also dont have to have it untill the end of the month so its not a big deal.

So much for my 100%

But it was my fault. I m almost perfect Embarassed

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

wayne wrote:Well, I went and did it, I had my first failure on a sealed rim. But in my defence, I used a valve stem that had the rubber washer on the out side and it leaked by the nut and under the 5200 and out the closest spoke, I for got to seal the nut. I just put a 205 70 15 Hydro Edge on it and had to break the bead and re seal around the nut.
Im glad it was my bike and not some elses. Also dont have to have it untill the end of the month so its not a big deal.

So much for my 100%

Good find though!!! Great data! It's not always what we do right that gives us wisdom, but learning from our mistakes!!!

.....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Well I finally got both my rims all sealed up and running Double Darkside a little while back:

Sealing rims - Page 4 2056641110106878013S600x600Q85

Actually, I was breaking spokes pulling the trailer and wife with the bike loaded, riding like I do.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm

What tires are you running on the HD?

And sizes?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 pm

twin1300 wrote:
wayne wrote:Well, I went and did it, I had my first failure on a sealed rim. But in my defence, I used a valve stem that had the rubber washer on the out side and it leaked by the nut and under the 5200 and out the closest spoke, I for got to seal the nut. I just put a 205 70 15 Hydro Edge on it and had to break the bead and re seal around the nut.

So much for my 100%

Good find though!!! Great data! It's not always what we do right that gives us wisdom, but learning from our mistakes!!!

I know but it was just a dumb mistake, and Im not 100% now banghd

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:46 am

wayne wrote:
twin1300 wrote:

So much for my 100%

I know but it was just a dumb mistake, and Im not 100% now banghd

Watch this, it will make you feel better!!! "Harder,Better, Faster, STRONGER"!!!!! hmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2JneittqQ
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Now how in the heck is that going to make me feel better? Very Happy

Since we are leaveing for a trip in a couple of weeks, for 9 days, I just mounted it on a mag rim. Which was alot eaiser than a spoke rim. I jsut pulled all the 5200 out and going to start over, I think it was the primer paint that I used that didnt hold, Im just glad it was my rim and not someone elses that I sealed. I took it for a test ride today and I think it is a very very good tire.
The Handcook that was on the mag, that I got at Sears, for 58 bucks was a good tire also. It was on the mag and I couldnt get the bead to break and I ended up cutting it off, Man that thing was on there, I think if a guy had a flat with it, it would not come off the rim after going flat,

As Willie would say, On the road again.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Dfinitlydisturbd Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 pm

I used clear silicone (the kind used to seal aquariums) for my front and rear...was aired up and ready to roll in two hours...Why I don't worry? Well... Ever consider just how much force the water in an aquarium puts on that thin seam of sealant?

In a tire you might have 40 or 50PSI at most and it's trying to push the sealant through holes (actually sealing it better as it cures) that it has no hope of ever going through (it takes almost 100PSI to force it through a tube the diameter of a tooth pick) so basically it ain't going nowhere.

It'll probably need redone when I change tires down the line but it's cheap and easy and pretty tough stuff.
well it's been 2+ years and 50k miles so a an update.
The aquarium silicone is still holding and my rims are still not rusty as of my last tire change about a month ago. Still running tubeless with no leaks...did need to obtain new "O" ring for valve stem though.
Dfinitlydisturbd
Dfinitlydisturbd

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Beermand Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Great thanks for the update. Good to hear other stuff works too.
Beermand
Beermand

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Back to top Go down

Sealing rims - Page 4 Empty Update

Post  wayne Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, it finaly happened. My front tire, I sealed back in early 07 Im not sure what the date was. But the bike sat for quite some time and I finaly got a chance to ride it the other day, and I noticed it felt a little funny, so I got home, and made a mental note to check the tire pressure. So today I checked the tire pressure, and the front had less than 10 lbs. in it, I couldnt find the leak, so it was a very very slow leak. So I pulled the tire off and I couldnt see where the 5200 may have been leaking. Im going to ride this weekend, so I pulled the sealer and put a 17in. tube in it.
I have over 60,000 miles, (about) on this sealed rim. Im very happy with the performance of it. I didnt see anything in the tire. So Im not real sure what was going on. I know the temps. are colder, but I have never had a tire go below 35 lbs in the winter because of the cold weather. I didnt want to take a chance with it. I will re seal it very soon, mabe in a week or so.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:27 am

I have found 5200 in Home Depot stores. It was in the paint department.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  lj birdman Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I found 3m 5200 quick set at lowes cures in 24 hours in big tube for $12
lj birdman
lj birdman

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Sealing rims - Page 4 Empty 3M 5200 Marine Sealant remover

Post  Dan Koich Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm

DeBond 2000 Marine formula is designed to remove 3M 5200. I found it for under $20 for 12 oz.
(I have not bought it or used it yet)

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharmer451 Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

I sealed my '01 VL800 with GE silicone for metal. 24hr cure. Added back the rim strip and ran another coat. Used most of a caulk tube (to do over again, I'd use less. Ran 3 rounds of gorilla tape to lock everything together (and protect the seal while mounting). Filling the spoke channel does make it a tougher mount, but generous Murphy's Oil Soap and 24" tire spoons helped with that. Mounted a Nexen sb802 165/70r15. The Murphy's allowed the bead to pop using only a 3gal compressor at 100pst (resulting in 45 psi in the tire). I'd use a 90 degree stem for sure in the future//the donated straight one works fine, but you can't use all chucks/ gauges on it. Not a lb of air lost, just trying to find the best riding pressure.

Pharmer451

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-12-10

Back to top Go down

Sealing rims - Page 4 Empty 94' virago 1100

Post  sphinx Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:26 am

Wondering if anyone can tell me what size tire I should use for my 94 xv 1100

sphinx

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-02-18

Back to top Go down