Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Michelin Alpin

5 posters

Go down

First Michelin Alpin Empty First Michelin Alpin

Post  papa smurf Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm

First let me start off by saying I have been riding Motorcycles since I was 14 I am now 65. I have put over 600,000 miles on motorcycles so I am not a beginner. I have raced bikes on just about every track east of the Mississippi and by no means would I call myself an expert I learn something new every day and today was no expectation. I installed my first CT on my 08 Goldwing it was a Michelin Primacy Alpin Runflat.I have read every post on this forum and done my research. Today I put 350 mi. on this tire and I can tell NO handling difference from this tire that any MC tire and I have tried them all over the years trying to find the perfect tire. Today I found that perfect tire this tire runs smoother and cooler than any MC tire I have ever tried.The corning is flat and smooth no pitch in no pull out.The grip level is on par with all the sticky race tires I have tried on the road.This tire tracks straight and true with no sings of follow rain groves or tire tracks (like the ones in the road that over weight trucks leave). Like I said I have ridden for years and I was Leery of a CT on my bike today changed everything. I have posted before about the load rating of a CT v MC tires all this is just a plus to what this tire can and will do. By no means am I trying to talk anyone into running a CT on there bike I am just saying what I have discovered on my own and I was trying to find something that was not right with this application but I have NOT found this to be. I know I will NOT switch back to a MC tire for my bike not with all the pluses of this tire. In a odd kind of way I think the Wing handles better with this tire than the others I have tried. I could go on about the ride the smoothness Blah ta Blah ta Blah but you will just have to find out for yourself take it from an old timer (who still likes to drag a peg) I have just found that PERFECT tire. Happy riding - Trust God and enjoy every day!
papa smurf
papa smurf

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-10-23

Back to top Go down

First Michelin Alpin Empty Re: First Michelin Alpin

Post  Doc Sat May 04, 2013 9:35 pm

I've been riding the Alpin for over a year now. It's the best CT for a bike I have found so far! thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun May 19, 2013 2:09 am

Love my Alpin, this one has about 12k on it and showing some wear. There is another one here sitting waiting its turn to go into service. I can not see ever running any other tire on my wing.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Wingrider44 Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:26 pm

I know that this is an old thread but I thought I'd pipe up and re-affirm what the OP said.  
I just mounted the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16 Runflat after running a Hankook H426 for nearly 1000 miles.  I liked the Hankook a lot.  It felt great and took very little effort to get used to the slight difference in feel.
However, I got to thinking about the construction of a non runflat as opposed to the construction of a runflat.  Compared to the Dunlop E3, the non runflat CT is positively flimsy.  Didn't take me long to decide that I would be better off in the case of a sudden loss of air pressure with a runflat tire.  Going 75 or 80 MPH down the super slab and having a sudden air loss, I doubt that I would be able to come to a safe stop before the tire shredded and locked up the rear wheel.  I may be totally wrong about this but taking the conservative approach I put on the Michelin Alpin.  Because it being a runflat tire, I thought that the Michelin would ride more harshly and require more muscling into the corners.  I was totally wrong.  After riding that tire for the length of a city block I realized that this tire felt more like an MC than the Hankook did.  I ran 40 PSI in the Hankook and 31 PSI in the Michelin.  After running about 100 miles and some mildly curvy roads, I am convinced that I made the right decision.  The Michelin Alpin tire is AWESOME.  I couldn't agree more with the OP about that this may very well be "the perfect tire".
Wingrider44
Wingrider44

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  justbike Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:03 am

I am on my second Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP. Love this tire. Ran a bridgestone RFT before but like the Michelin better. I ran my first one with 36 psi and wore out the center of it prematurely. I now have dropped to 31 and the tire fells even better. I have read where others are running 27. I am going to see how this one wears. I just put a new one on and bought another to have ready for if something happens to this one.
Awesome tire.

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Wingrider44 Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Was able put on about 1400 miles on my Michelin Alpin. Rode in a number of conditions so I got a pretty good idea of how this tire feels. Rode it on the Interstate, rode it in the rain, rode it in the twisties of Arkansas, and yes, it rode it on dry pavement. All I can say is WOW. I am convinced that this tire is as near perfect as a tire can be. I don't see myself ever going back to a MT as long as the Michelin Alpin is available.
Wingrider44
Wingrider44

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  justbike Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:41 pm

same here, best tire made for a mc. Far as I can tell

justbike

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down