Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sway

4 posters

Go down

Sway Empty Sway

Post  NE_Baldman Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 am

I've had a General Altimax HP 195/65-15 on the back of my 2003 V-Star (650) Custom for the last 18 months and 12,000 miles. It has been great; extremely stable and smooth with great traction, with no noticeable difference between riding 1-up and 2-up! This Spring, it is swaying from side to side at speeds over 55 MPH when riding 1-up. It is a little more stable when riding 2-up, but it is still a little scary. I have tried adjusting the tire-pressure up and down to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or know how to resolve it? If I can't figure this out, I'm going to have to go back to a Metzler just to be able to ride my bike.

Thanks in advance for your advise and expertise.

Joe in Nebraska

NE_Baldman

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-29

Back to top Go down

Sway Empty Re: Sway

Post  Doc Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Check your sidewalls closely, sounds like you might have a bubble or separation.
I know the General's sidewalls are a little less stiff than other brands like Goodyear or Michelin.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

If it's properly balanced, then it's the tire. Check the front one also. Chances are it's a belt separation or bubble causing the problems.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm

At 126mm height, that's reasonably tall, and with a narrow rim could cause a few problems, but you don't read of many with that tire. I'd run one
myself If it would fit mine! Mostly for the superior handling I keep hearing about. So, if it was good before, and ain't good now, and you can't find
any broken cords (lumps or ravines) on the sidewalls, then I'd look hard at the front end, front tire, shock oil levels, bearings (especially head) and
any accessories you've added like wind deflectors, rear bags, toolboxes or whatnot that catches wind in any way. Also make sure the head bearings
are properly lubed...(You KNOW we don't "fill" our necks with grease, as the stupid Harley manual suggests...) and most importantly, I'd scope that front
tire with a magnifying glass and a caliper.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum