Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"I'm a Believer"

4 posters

Go down

"I'm a Believer" Empty "I'm a Believer"

Post  Mudrow Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 am

I have been researching the Dark Side for about a year. I have a 2010 yamaha RS Silverado. I replaced my rear tire Dunlop 404 150/80-16 last week with only 6,000 miles on it. That's when I knew it was time to go to the Dark Side. With all the helpful suggestions & experience listed in this forum, it was very helpful. First I changed to a General Altimax 205/60-16V (CT). No one wanted to mount it for less than $40.00. So not being cheap but, I knew how to do this, I did it myself. Of course breaking the bead was the hardest but still had the tire off the wheel in 20 minutes. I have spoke rims and a tube in my tire. Mounting the new tire was a snap. Read something on the forum about using a little KY to seat the bead, so i tried a similar water based lubricant. Seated the bead with only 36 psi. Then added my 4 oz's of Dyna Beads. Put 38 psi back in the tire & went for a ride. Two things...first-if you have saddle bags the supports inside the fender will have to be sanded down on the rear of the support too include the saddle bags mount bolt. It's way too long and just rubs the side of the tire only by 2 to 3 threads. Second - the inner frame on the Rt. side for the caliper support may rub if the manufacturer cut metal hasn't been cleaned up. I had to lightly file it smooth. I've ridden by myself first no problems. I'm around 210 lbs, bike weighs in around 745 lbs. also took the wife for a ride and still no more rubbing. Only have about 200 miles on it so far. It definitely notice quicker braking and better takeoff. As I said in the beginning "I'm a Believer" in the Dark Side.

Will post pics soon.
p.s. A special thank you to Bobby & Doc.

Don

Mudrow

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-04-06

Back to top Go down

"I'm a Believer" Empty Re: "I'm a Believer"

Post  Mudrow Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm

https://s1310.photobucket.com/user/don_monroe1/media/image_zps16f5f3f0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Mudrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudrow Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Here's another pic of my ride.
https://s1310.photobucket.com/user/don_monroe1/media/image_zps3343b8bd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Mudrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 am

Great tire and great looking bike. Thanks for the write up.

What is an RS? Thought it meant royal star, but that didn't look like a royal star...
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudrow Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 am

Road Star (RS) Silverado

Mudrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Sweet Lookin' Bike thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudrow Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks Doc. Couldn't have done it without your help.

Mudrow

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 am

I can't see the pictures, but I'm sure it's a nice looking set up. I know because I just put the same tire on my V Star 1300 thumbup I've got close to 1000 miles on the new tire, and I'm still getting adjusted (experimenting with different tire pressures, etc..), but I really like it. It feels a little odd at turns less than 20 mph and on narrow roads with a really high crown in the center, but that's the only strange thing.
rmccutchan
rmccutchan

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down