Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1/2 new

4 posters

Go down

1/2 new Empty 1/2 new

Post  Bulldogparts Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:43 am

I'm already running dark on the rear of my GW. I'm needing a new front tire, and have asked here about the BT45, but have a different question now.

Most of you Double Darksiders say to run a bias-ply rear in reverse rotation. I don't have a problem with the bias-ply, but all of the tread patterns I've looked at channel water AWAY from the center when mounted correctly. Doesn't it cause water to be channeled TOWARDS THE CENTER, AND BETWEEN THE RUBBER AND THE ROAD if it's mounted in reverse rotation? I sort of understand the "braking issue reason" for doing it this way, but am concerned with losing steer traction in the rain, 'cause I ain't skeerd of starting a ride in the rain, but the thought of scooter surfing on asphalt does make me skeerd.

All thoughts and experiences appreciated. Thanks, Randy
Bulldogparts
Bulldogparts

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

1/2 new Empty Re: 1/2 new

Post  smokey2255 Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:44 am

Randy, I ran the BT45 for 9k and it was totally trashed. If you are even remotely a spirited rider I would shy away from it.

The bridge stone G709 is a much better tire. I push my machine pretty hard in all conditions. This tire is always there.
Jmho

See youout there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 am

Short answer is No...
Water will follow the path of least resistance. As long as the channels are open to the atmosphere at the outside edge of the tire tread, the pressure of the water there will be lower there, than the pressure of the water at the dead end of the channel in the center of the tire tread, even though the tread channel is pointed in the direction of rotation. There is no active pumping of water with tire treads, they simply squeeze water in the direction of the open end of the channel.
This also explains why tires worn beyond the wear bars hydroplane so much more easily than tires with new tread depths.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm

If you look at front mc tires they generaly look like the rear tread pattern turned backward anyway.

locopony

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum