Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkside encouragement

5 posters

Go down

Darkside encouragement Empty Darkside encouragement

Post  Valknomad Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:30 pm

You'll never know until you try... (my 1998 Honda Valk Tourer) after a few restless nights... ordered the General Altima HP 205/60-16. Will arrive Friday , so I have 3 or 4 days to second guess my self (yes/no...yes/no) I am aware there are some trade-offs, but will see if that is 60-40 or 40-60. Mostly concerned with the cornering aspect (not "grip"), but the counter-steer effort? I often ride 2-up and occassionally pull a Kwick Kamp MC tent trailer. I have PM a few riders and there "candid" responses seemed less enthusiastic(but not bad..just different) than what is often posted in the General Boards. I will either be satisfied of the ride or right this off as a $125 expirement. ( I also have a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 that I ride (MC tires), so switching between the two is going to be kinda weird). Thanks for the advise and encouragement....... Vinnie in N. Idaho

Valknomad

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Darkside encouragement Empty re darkside encouragement

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Don't know who you have been talking to but the counter steer is no big deal.It is actually a positive thing on a heavy cruiser.I had a tendacy to lean into a curve too much and then pull it back up, now I can regulate going in with ease.Mine is an 05 nomad with 205-60-16 gytt thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Darkside encouragement Empty Re: Darkside encouragement

Post  twin1300 Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am

Dude!!! It's going to be more like 110% CT and 0% MT!!! LOL

Just take your time and wear the mold release off (a couple hundred miles) and then you will own it! Remember....psi makes all the difference in the world to how it handles.

...............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am

You'll prolly notice the extra effort for counter steering the first couple rides.
By the time you get the mold release worn off it will feel totally natural! Congrats
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Fudd Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

I have put over 30k miles on a 205/60/16 car tire on my Valkyrie and can tell you without reservation that it's a good matchup. I drive agressively in twisties and my traction is outstanding. Much of my riding is two-up and a lot of that is pulling a trailer.

The additional amount of counter steer needed in a turn is so negligible, you won't even notice it. Also, even when banking over in turns until draging the footpegs still leaves a very wide, stable contact patch on the ground. Check out Dagg1520's darkside youtube video to see what I'm talking about.

The most adverse handling change comes when riding on tire grooved roads. I'm talking about the wavey cross sections that some roads get from heavy loads pressing ruts in the asphalt. All tires want to settle in the bottom of these ruts, but perhaps the effect is a little more on car tires than on motorcycle tires. That effect is known as "bump steer." I personally travel on a road each day that is severly rutted and it doesn't bother me. I do drive on tops or down in the grooves, but not on the transitional incline.

I'm expecting to get another 15k or more out of this Michelin before replacing it, most likely with a Hankook. I have nothing but praises for the darkside on the Valkyrie.
Fudd
Fudd

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down