Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info

5 posters

Go down

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info Empty Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info

Post  wingrider01 Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Hello to all
it's been a couple weeks but finally got that CT mounted on my 2008 wing, so far very impressed, mounted a toyo praxis t1r, handles great even in the curves, well now for the new request for info leaving july 11, for fairbanks alaska, anyone here made the trip before I would appreciate any info and advice u know roads, gas, motels, etc. any one headed in that direction who would liket to team up let me know

thanks for your help

dave

wing-rider

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 aspencade

wingrider01

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info Empty Re: Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info

Post  Doc Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm

That trip on a bike is on my bucket list...
I've been in the cage a few years ago, Fairbanks to Valdez to Anchorage to Denali back to Fairbanks.
Get a copy of the Milepost, it lists everything in the area by mile marker.
Too long ago to be of any help on roads or motels, just fill up every chance you get. thumbup

And take lots of pictures. yeah
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info Empty alaska bound

Post  wingrider01 Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:16 pm

thanks will do the trips been on my list too, finally got the chance

wingrider01

Back to top Go down

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info Empty Re: Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info

Post  twin1300 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Just an opinion....make sure you have some where up there to get a front tire...roads are harsh and will eat up a front tire quick. I sure your rear tire will make it.

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info Empty front tire

Post  wingrider01 Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:40 pm

thanks

have a trailer so taking a few extras is manageable taking an extra front tire with me. just in case.

wingrider01

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 am

If you need a front tire go double dark before you head this way. We have bike shops up here and don't all live in igloo's any more... Very Happy Just call in advance like any where else. The roads in Alaska are all paved where you will be riding so nothing out of the ordinary in the way of extras is needed. I am pretty sure the Harley Dealer in Fairbanks is also the Honda Dealer. Lots of availability on the AlCan to. Have not been down it in a while so I do not know if it is fully paved but I think so. The MilePost is the best source of road info. Check out Daniel Meyers Alaska trip at http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/23/alaska2004index.html for some excellent info and great entertainment too.
Enjoy the ride!
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

Taking road trip to alaska any advice/tips/info Empty Going Double Dark, Heading to Alaska in July, 2012

Post  Goldwing2500 Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Ordered the Bridgestone Battlax which should be here in 3 days. Going Double Dark next week and departing here on the 8th of July, heading to Anchorage for the Region J, GWRRA Rally. The trip of a lifetime and I'm taking everything.

Goldwing2500

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down