Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride Like A Pro and darksiding`

5 posters

Go down

Ride Like A Pro and darksiding` Empty Ride Like A Pro and darksiding`

Post  quadancer Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Are there any of you who have done the RLAP course and then tried it with a CT? I'd be interested in the low speed handling here.

On another note, I think EVERYONE should, and definitely would benefit from getting the CD and going out with some cones and working it. I have some guys that have seen the video but didn't practice it any and still duckwalk and multi-point their bikes around, having not gotten the techniques.
Anyone will become a better rider for it. I can run the course with the wife on the back - and we only practiced ONE day. My first run hit 3 cones in the offset cone weave. My fourth I could do at full speed, nearly scraping the floorboards.
But I wonder how I'd do with a CT.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Ride Like A Pro and darksiding` Empty Re: Ride Like A Pro and darksiding`

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:55 am

Practice it all the time with the car tire. I can drag myboards running down the road at 60 and only use half the lane. Anything you can do on a MC tife can be done on a car tire.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 am

I found slow speed handling to be even better with the car tire. I can even stop most of the time at a stop sign and look both ways before leaving and never put my feet down. I can snap full lock 180 just as good, but I think better with the CT than the MT. JMO

All it takes is practice and I practice when I am in a parking lot circles and stops. No issues. Now with the RLAP course, no I have done it, but dodge young girls on cell phones yes!!!! LOL We used to have a member here that taught Motorcycle Safety Course with his car tire and had no issues and they go thru some of the same routines and he said it was great with the car tire.

I guess I don't understand the "worry" about slow speed handling??????? To me, it's the easiest to see it will work! The OA sight worries about that all the time and I am like...what??? Never mind, just a rant! hehehehe

...................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 pm

CT works for me no matter the speed. I practice the turns once in a while, because I don't need them in real life ridding.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 pm

I use the turns daily in parking lots, around gas pumps, between other bikes or cars. I have one fella teaching the RLAP course who had one student with a CT. He tried the bike and felt like he had to really muscle the thing to corner, especially in the cone weaves. He admitted that it could have been the bike, since the guy had to cut the swingarm and do stuff to get the CT in, but it sounds like the tire.
Not that all CT's are alike.
I would think that a narrower profile CT would be better at slow speed cornering.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Blue Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11 am

Just ordered the DVD.

I regularly take my VTX 1300 out and practice right and left slow speed turns in some business's parking lot. I don't go home until I can do a 180 turn in the width of two parking spaces.

The right turn is the hardest for me. I also find it more difficult to do it uphill, than downhill. But I'm working both.

Big Blue

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Blue Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:13 am

quadancer wrote:I use the turns daily in parking lots, around gas pumps, between other bikes or cars. I have one fella teaching the RLAP course who had one student with a CT. He tried the bike and felt like he had to really muscle the thing to corner, especially in the cone weaves. He admitted that it could have been the bike, since the guy had to cut the swingarm and do stuff to get the CT in, but it sounds like the tire.
Not that all CT's are alike.
I would think that a narrower profile CT would be better at slow speed cornering.

Come on, admit it. A MC tire will be better in turning every time.

Big Blue

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:33 am

At this point, I've been in the cones many times with the CT (Comtrac) and find it to be no difference whatsoever from the
Pirelli that preceded it. After DD the bike, I seemed to find it more stable on the fast sweepers, but a little harder to get
quite as tight in the 18' circle. I'll find out this week if that's so, because I just put a front MT on the front last night. I'll
scrub it in today.
I may have just been getting a bit too rusty over the winter.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down