Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double Darkside!!

+9
VIPER
Mark Newcomb
robw
FLWingmaster
horseman8m
Steve-O
twin1300
jedishon
DS-Wing-Nut
13 posters

Go down

Double Darkside!! Empty Double Darkside!!

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:43 am

Well, after much reading on GL1800riders.com Darkside list I decided to go double darkside on my WIng.

Double Darkside you ask??

Double darkside is running a CT on the rear and a Rear MT on the front......

I am running a Kumho 195/55/16 RF (Car Tire) on the Rear and a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 Rear 130/70/18 (Motorcycle Tire) on the front.

WOW!! What a smooth ride!! I didn't think it could get any smoother that a CT on the rear... but with the Battlax Rear on the front it has more rubber and thicker rubber which should make it last even longer and the rubber is soft andd has great grip... Installed it last night and rode it to work this morning on my 52 mile commute and I LOVE it.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Double Darkside!! Empty Re: Double Darkside!!

Post  jedishon Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:56 am

Double D has always appealed to me. Oh wait wrong subject, your talking tires......
Did you mount the one in front backwards? There has been a lot of discussion about that. Iknow there is a new tire coming out that can be used front or rear, but I dont remember the name right now. I remember Smokin'joe posting a write up about puting a rear tire on the front with a backwards rotation so the belts wouldn't seperate under heavy breaking...... Good to hear its a smooth ride.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:40 am

Awesome Idea! I will pass that on to my twin brother. Thanks

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:42 am

I really thought you meant this.... from our friend Caribcruiser!

Double Darkside!! 7452DS_Vi_4

.................... Very Happy

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:02 am

Congrats Dave! That's an awesome bike. You have me looking at Wings now.....
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Steve-O wrote:Congrats Dave! That's an awesome bike. You have me looking at Wings now.....

SORRY! If you do find one you like, make sure it is a 2006 or newer. 2005 and down had some frame issues on the new alum frames. the new ones are all good for now.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:55 pm

twin1300 wrote:I really thought you meant this.... from our friend Caribcruiser!

Double Darkside!! 7452DS_Vi_4

.................... Very Happy

That's what i was thinking when i read the headline, LOL cheers
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  FLWingmaster Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:53 pm

jedishon wrote:Double D has always appealed to me. Oh wait wrong subject, your talking tires......
Did you mount the one in front backwards? There has been a lot of discussion about that. Iknow there is a new tire coming out that can be used front or rear, but I dont remember the name right now. I remember Smokin'joe posting a write up about puting a rear tire on the front with a backwards rotation so the belts wouldn't seperate under heavy breaking...... Good to hear its a smooth ride.....

Jerry

yeah, that's my question too - mounting the BT 45 Rear on the front but backwards. Is that what most 1800 riders are doing? I've already bought the tire and will mount this weekend.

Jim

FLWingmaster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  robw Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 am

You will probably find that it is about 50/50 on mounting on the GL1800 board. I mounted mine with the proper direction of rotation. The shop that installed the tire for me couldn't find any logic in mounting a tire backwards so I figured they had a lot more expertise than I. I've got about 10,000 miles on my set up. The rear appears to be about 1/2 worn and the front looks near new. Watch your tire pressures closely to avoid cupping. Ride safe.
robw
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Double Darkside!! Empty New double darkside convert

Post  Mark Newcomb Tue May 18, 2010 2:59 pm

I added a conti-pro rear tire a few months ago. I finally, abiout 2 weeks ago, changed my front for the Bridgestone Battlax.

It was not a mistake. Good braking, good hold, feels nice in the curves and on the highway. Would I do it again? Definately.

Mark Newcomb

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Double Darkside!! Empty Hey wing nut!

Post  VIPER Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Hey Brother! Just joined this group today. I am not new to the Darkside though. But I now have a GL1500/6 Goldwing. I would like to ask what type of Bike do you have? I will go dark side on my Wing ASAP, but I never heard of your set up before! I would like to try it. Also do you know if going Darkside on a Wing will effect the Bike Trailer pulling abilites? Thanx in advance!!!

VIPER

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 am

VIPER wrote:Hey Brother! Just joined this group today. I am not new to the Darkside though. But I now have a GL1500/6 Goldwing. I would like to ask what type of Bike do you have? I will go dark side on my Wing ASAP, but I never heard of your set up before! I would like to try it. Also do you know if going Darkside on a Wing will effect the Bike Trailer pulling abilites? Thanx in advance!!!

you can get a Avon Roadrider rear tire and mount it on the front. It is rated for front or rear fitment.
From the reports I've read towing a tailer is a lot better with a cr.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  bandito_two Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 pm

jedishon wrote:Double D has always appealed to me. Oh wait wrong subject, your talking tires......

Jerry

And the belts wouldn't separate under hard braking on the rear? Rear tires are built with enough strength to handle forces in both directions;
under acceleration and braking. They can take it. Since they can work in both directions, I think it is more important to consider that tread
channels are designed optimally to shed water away from the tire best in forward rotation. Reverse rotation would hinder that by trying to
channel water toward the center of the tire instead. This seems to be especially important since front tires often have "through" channels in
the center line of the tire whereas rear tires generally do not have that benefit in tread layout. With a wider tread leading the way, there is
more lifting surface presented first to undisturbed water. Normally a rear tire has some of that water pushed away by the leading front tire.

That is my rationale for mounting a rear tire on the front of my bike in forward rotation.
bandito_two
bandito_two

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyn Tiger Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Just got my B45 the other day but have not mounted it yet. At that point I will be double dark myself. I have been running a Hancook H426 195/60/16 and have loved it. Currently have 18,000 on the rear and 17,000 on my E3 front. Having to replace the rear, just got my second nail in it and I played with tire pressures alot and I think I run too much for too long. Middle to the edges are getting worn but evenly. Currently running 38 psi.

My question is what pressure are you running in your B45 and it on the front?  Sure appreciate any info you can give me.

Ride safe,
Flyn Tiger

Flyn Tiger

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:22 pm

My bike 710# wet(no gear or rider) and I run 40 psi up front.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  INTHEWIND Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:23 am

DS-Wing-Nut wrote:
Steve-O wrote:Congrats Dave!  That's an awesome bike.  You have me looking at Wings now.....

SORRY!  If you do find one you like,  make sure it is a 2006 or newer.     2005 and down had some frame issues on the new alum frames.  the new ones are all good for now.

It was 2004 and earlier. 2005 had new designed frames.

INTHEWIND

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down