Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Post

+10
Monstrddg
chzbykr
lizard
mastermechanic
DJ
twin1300
Steve-O
smokey2255
jedishon
demingrickjames
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty Dunlop SP Sport 5000 195/60 - 16

Post  mastermechanic Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:19 pm

I went to a dunlap site and couldn't find that tire size. Are you sure that is the size?

mastermechanic

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty New Tire

Post  mastermechanic Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:46 am

Bobby,
I went from 38 lbs. to 44 lbs. of tire pressure and it seems better. Not as squishy, but I still feel like the rear end is moving around in the turns and when changing lanes. Does this get better after the 500 mile break in? Or should I add more air? And how much air is too much? Most car tires have a max pressure of 45 lbs don't they?

mastermechanic

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty Re: First Post

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:25 am

mastermechanic, I felt the same way at first. I started at 35 psi went to 40 then to 44. I am at 36 now and enjoy the smoother ride. I figured that the squishy feeling I was getting was the extra traction the tire was offering in combination with it wanting to stand up straight and get going. The feeling made me nervous at first. Now I look forward to it. Does it feel like that when you start from a stop, make a left turn and hit 2nd 2/3 of the way through the turn.
All I can really say is if I had started riding a motorcycle with a car tire first, then put a motorcycle tire on. It would have scared me to death.
Every so often I feel the back end do something, but I remember the way the m/t used to want to ride in the road grooves and fight getting out of them sometimes.
The c/t can be a mental challenge to get over, but once you do....What a ride....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty new tire

Post  mastermechanic Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:47 am

Jerry,
It is reacting exactly the way you described it. I do agree that it feels like it is biting the rode extremely well, except for that feeling that it is going to sway to one side or the other. I'm thinking it must be the radial tire wall flexing as the side load is applied to it. By the way, thatnks for the reply..............
Tony

mastermechanic

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:43 am

Tony
I had a friend with a Yamaha R 1 follow me through some curves, I draged the floorboards a little, and he said the back tire was holding the road better than he thought it would.....
Enjoy your tire, and if it stops acting like it is then you can start to look for a replacement, cause it will be wore down all the way to the belts......
More air will lessen the feeling, but you will get a very firm ride, At 44psi I thought i was riding a lumber truck.
And your welcome.......Anytime....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty Roadstar 99 w/spoked wheels

Post  chzbykr Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:22 pm

150/80/16 orignal
Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread just looking to go DS myself. Anybody had an experience that turned out good for a roadstar, I'd sure like to hear from them. Ride safe all.
Chazbykr

chzbykr

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:40 am

chzbykr

If you go to www.mcdarksiders.com I believe the video displayed there is a roadstar. He has typed commentary along with the vid.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Monstrddg Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:57 am

Im new here and also ride a Yami...First Post - Page 2 L_c92a1b7feeaf81666fc10aff7874b37b
I purchased my Warrior in 02 and have gone through 19 tires after about 3000 miles each. One Metzler bit the dust with less than 800 miles but that included a day at Road America.
First Post - Page 2 Metzle11
Hopefully #20 last much longer...Ill post the pics when the BFG finally gets mounted

Monstrddg

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 am

Monstrddg wrote:Im new here and also ride a Yami...First Post - Page 2 L_c92a1b7feeaf81666fc10aff7874b37b
I purchased my Warrior in 02 and have gone through 19 tires after about 3000 miles each. One Metzler bit the dust with less than 800 miles but that included a day at Road America.
First Post - Page 2 Metzle11
Hopefully #20 last much longer...Ill post the pics when the BFG finally gets mounted

Welcome..Make your self to home and ask anything you want....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Steviet Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:55 am

I did a weekend ride recently with my wife to Bandera and picked up a screw in my Metzler 880 on the Goldwing. Having had the same experience with my 03 SE Roadking, I was prepared with a plug kit this time. Feeling rather smug after plugging the tire and re inflating it, I continued the journey only to find my self experiencing the challenge of driving off the side of the road, through a deep ditch, and up to a barb wire fence at 65mph when the rear tire blew out. After going through the recovery ordeal, when I got home, I found your forum. You guys know the rest. The Kumho on my Wing has 2000mi on it. I run it at 40lbs, and I will never go back to MT. By the way, Kumho website shows the tire at $127.99, so I challenged the salesman at Discount with the retail, and got it for that. I am a sometimes aggressive rider that loves the twistys, and have found this tire to handle very well. It does not ride on the sidewall for all you that are considering the darkside. I can scrape pegs with anyone, and the ride/traction is fantastic. No more blowouts for me. I have had my share of ditch riding. The tire is 1/4" taller than the stock, and has 1.1" more circumference. There are some SUBTLE changes in handling, gas mileage, and performance. Most people aren't as picky as me and will probably not even notice them. Net....Home Run! I am a confirmed Darksider!
Riding since 1966, 2008 Goldwing is my 7th road bike.

Steviet

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:49 am

Steviet wrote:I did a weekend ride recently with my wife to Bandera and picked up a screw in my Metzler 880 on the Goldwing. Having had the same experience with my 03 SE Roadking, I was prepared with a plug kit this time. Feeling rather smug after plugging the tire and re inflating it, I continued the journey only to find my self experiencing the challenge of driving off the side of the road, through a deep ditch, and up to a barb wire fence at 65mph when the rear tire blew out. After going through the recovery ordeal, when I got home, I found your forum. You guys know the rest. The Kumho on my Wing has 2000mi on it. I run it at 40lbs, and I will never go back to MT. By the way, Kumho website shows the tire at $127.99, so I challenged the salesman at Discount with the retail, and got it for that. I am a sometimes aggressive rider that loves the twistys, and have found this tire to handle very well. It does not ride on the sidewall for all you that are considering the darkside. I can scrape pegs with anyone, and the ride/traction is fantastic. No more blowouts for me. I have had my share of ditch riding. The tire is 1/4" taller than the stock, and has 1.1" more circumference. There are some SUBTLE changes in handling, gas mileage, and performance. Most people aren't as picky as me and will probably not even notice them. Net....Home Run! I am a confirmed Darksider!
Riding since 1966, 2008 Goldwing is my 7th road bike.

My twin ride his wing with a car tire like he stole it....he wheelies it all over the place now with the car tire..... cheers He's on his second car tire and loves it!

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty Hello Darkside

Post  COWBOY Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:00 pm

I found this thread of yami riders ordered me a ct today from discount tire, is a kumho ecsta ASX z rated, and looks good size is 225-40-18 anybody got any input on this tire or any advice on another tire that might be better ?? I am open to suggestions I am coming to the darkside .. Please let me know Question :arrow: :arrow: cheers
COWBOY
COWBOY

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Cowboy, welcome to the site. That is gonna be an assload of wide tire back there. Keep us posted on it.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:14 am

COWBOY wrote:I found this thread of yami riders ordered me a ct today from discount tire, is a kumho ecsta ASX z rated, and looks good size is 225-40-18 anybody got any input on this tire or any advice on another tire that might be better ?? I am open to suggestions I am coming to the darkside .. Please let me know Question :arrow: :arrow: cheers

What are you riding and what tire is on it now? Kind of wide for most bikes and you may want to measure the circumference with respect to your old tire. That will be a shorter diameter and circumference than the stock tire. Is there a reason you are going with a 40?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  COWBOY Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:40 am

Steve-O wrote:
COWBOY wrote:I found this thread of yami riders ordered me a ct today from discount tire, is a kumho ecsta ASX z rated, and looks good size is 225-40-18 anybody got any input on this tire or any advice on another tire that might be better ?? I am open to suggestions I am coming to the darkside .. Please let me know Question :arrow: :arrow: cheers

What are you riding and what tire is on it now? Kind of wide for most bikes and you may want to measure the circumference with respect to your old tire. That will be a shorter diameter and circumference than the stock tire. Is there a reason you are going with a 40?

I am riding a 2008 yamaha raider 1900 ccs of pure joy , 🤡 oem 210/40/18 this tire size I have found is .23 taller,.59 wider, .48 in diameter, 1.48 in over all circumfrence, and will turn 15.50 less revs per mile at 65 , is really about the same size as i am running right now with oem 210-40-18, at least by all standards i can find that compare tire size and speedometer effect.Replacement is a 225/40/18 . Thanks guys

COWBOY 🤡
COWBOY
COWBOY

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty Also relatively new to the Darkside

Post  Bikerbobby Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi, I've put about 1000kms on my FJR AE since I put a car tire on the back. It works a treat. I've been riding for 50 years, and for the past 18 years my bikes have been mostly in the 1300cc range. I should have tried car tires years ago. I ride all year round so I've replaced many's a tire. Anyway, I'm here now and I'm here to stay.
Cheers,
Bob
Bikerbobby
Bikerbobby

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-12-07

Back to top Go down

First Post - Page 2 Empty v star

Post  rossmond Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:10 pm

DJ wrote:Hey all,

I posted some where awhile ago.  Dam if I can find it now.  Getting to old.

I've only got 4000 miles on the OEM tire, but when its worn out, I'm going to the Darkside.  The V Star forum Darkside topic they have only tried a 195/60-16 as a replace car tire.  Has anyone here gone to maybe a 205 on a 07 V star 1300?  Cool

DJ
 YES, i have a 2013 v star 1300,I'm running a 205/60/16 goodyear tt for 7000 miles so far.love it.the 205s have more v rated tires, it has about 1/16 to 1/8 " clearance I'm 170,wife is 140,so i found the psi sweet spot at 33 hot,29 cold,rear suspension stock setting was too soft, (never rubbed),kicked it up to 7,,rides great. no more trouble on wet grass and sandy dirt roads:)
rossmond
rossmond

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2